Our COVID Response
Welcome to our COVID response page. Below you’ll find all the critical information about how Baychester Middle School is changing the way we operate to reduce the risk of COVID infection.
We are doing everything we can to make sure staff, students, and families are safe.
Please check back regularly, as we will update the information here as conditions change.
The NYC DOE Return to School 2020 site section also has important information and resources for you.
Last updated: October 6, 2020
HYBRID LEARNING SCHEDULE FOR FALL 2020
Baychester Middle School has chosen to operate on the NYC DOE's model #3 of hybrid learning. See details below.
In-Person Learning Schedule (6 Day Rotation):
|Group A||Group B||Group C||Group A||Group B||Group C|
*Group D is 100% remote every day.
Model 3A: 6 DAY ROTATION WITH 1-2 DAYS PER WEEK. THREE IN-PERSON COHORTS
- Three in-person cohorts, one remote.
- Students in group A, group B, group C will have in-person learning 1-2 days per week and remote learning for non-in person days
- Students whose families choose fully remote learning will receive remote instruction every day. (Group D)
- Tentative groupings are as follows:
- Group A = Class 601, 604, 701, 801
- Group B = Class 602, 702, 704, 802
- Group C = Class 603, 703, 803, 804
- Note: If your child was in 601 last year, he/she will be in 701 this year. If your child was in 701 last year, he/she will be in 801 this year, etc.
- If you would like to sign up for full remote learning online, fill out this form to choose 100% remote learning.
A tentative daily schedule can be found on our calendar page.
REMOTE LEARNING EXPECTATIONS
During hybrid or 100% remote learning, your child is expected to complete all assignments provided by the teacher. At the same time, we recognize that working independently at home is different and difficult for many students, so we want to provide flexibility.
- Students and families should check Google Classroom daily for important updates from their teachers.
- When signing in for virtual classes or meetings, students are expected to be on time, appropriately dressed, and ready to learn. We suggest signing in 5 minutes before class starts. Please try to reduce background noise and distractions as much as possible.
Google Classroom Support
All classes and classwork can be found on Google Classroom.
Teachers use Google Classroom both for classwork and for meeting with their class daily. Scholars can join the class by following the schedule for their group and clicking on the Meet Link at the top left of their Google classroom.
If you’re having trouble accessing Google Classroom, you can click on this short video from Ms. Leebens and then email the teacher to let them know you are having trouble.
Scholars received new schedules for Cycle 2 hybrid instruction that started on October 1, 2020. If your student is missing their schedule, you can email their advisory teacher. Students follow different schedules based on whether they are fully remote or hybrid.
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WHILE IN THE BUILDING
BUILDING SAFETY: YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WHILE IN THE BUILDING - We have put safety procedures in place to keep our students and staff healthy.
- Masks: Masks must be worn inside Baychester Middle School at all times by all adults and students. If your child is unable to wear a mask for medical reasons, they must have an excuse signed by a doctor on file in the office with Mrs. Del Valle, School Secretary. Her email is GDelValle@BaychesterWaves.org
- Handwashing: Students and staff are expected to wash hands thoroughly before and after eating, after using the bathroom, if exposed to body fluids (like saliva or a sneeze), and at other times necessary throughout the day.
- Drop-off and pickup procedures: Please maintain social distancing between families during drop-off and pickup. Parents are not allowed to enter the building.
- Visiting our school: We are not allowing visitors to the school during this time. Parent-teacher conferences and other meetings will be held virtually.
- Illness: Students and staff exhibiting signs of illness or having a fever of greater than 99.9°F must stay home. If you or someone you know has COVID-19 (or shows symptoms of COVID-19 such as coughing or fever), it is required that you stay home or at a designated care facility for a minimum of 14 days. Please contact us via phone or email as soon as possible.
Directions for local COVID testing: Please visit the NYS Coronavirus Find a Test Site.